shoe care for sustainability
Look after your leather, and your leather will look after you…
Regular care will preserve the water-resistance of your leather shoes and make them last much, much longer.
Good for you, good for the planet.
If you’ve been out on a wet muddy hike or trudging through the rain on your daily commute, we can’t recommend enough that you give your leather shoes some TLC to keep them at their barefoot best.
- However tempting, never leave your leather shoes to dry next to a heat source such as a radiator or fireside as it will dry them out and cause damage in the long-term.
- Start with a clean pallet! Let your shoes dry and brush of any mud and dirt. Give them a wipe with a warm damp cloth to remove any stubborn excess dirt
- Select a high-quality natural wax/balsam designed for leather and massage generously into the leather – the best way to do this is with your hands! The slight warmth will help to work the wax in. Pay close attention to the seams and where the sole meets the upper – this will help nourish the leather and plug any gaps that water could work its way through.
- Leave them over night and give them a buff with a dusting cloth to bring up a healthy glow. Remember, don’t leave your shoes next to a heat source!
- Top it all off with some Liquiproof leather protection, giving extra hydrophobic resilience and repelling mud and dirt on for your next venture (but it won’t turn them into wellies!)
And Voila! Happy, nourished leather that’s ready to keep you warm and dry for the wild wonderings to come.